Ginger in rich aubergine

Apologies if my title’s misled you into anticipating a yummy recipe, but what I’ve sewn up is pretty delicious too!

I’ve been so impressed by the many fabulous versions of Colette’s Ginger on the blogsphere that I finally decided to give it a go in a rich, aubergine cotton, ideal for autumn/winter. I had high hopes for this sweet Colette pattern from the start and it certainly didn’t disappoint.



This was my second ever experience using a Colette pattern - after my beloved Sorbettos here  and here – and I can see the Ginger skirt fast becoming a year-round staple of mine. The instructions were a delight to follow and the construction process was so simple that I almost felt guilty!

It’s so nice to have a garment that looks as pretty on the inside as it does on the outside



A little word of warning though, I cut out a US size 8 (UK 12) and it was surprisingly spot on. However, I’m glad I took the time to make a muslin, because I discovered that in order for the waistband to match up with the skirt pieces, I had to cut it two sizes larger than the skirt pieces. Did anyone else come across this problem, or is it just me?

I did also experience quite a big hiccup, all because my short torso/waist is best suited to lower waistbands. So as usual I chopped a good inch off the top of the waistband pieces, but this seemingly minor alteration brought up a problem I’ve encountered before with my Crescent Skirt. Shortening a waistband alters where the skirt sits on me and I always end up with a gaping waist.

No one likes a saggy waistband...so unflattering!



Of course I only discovered this after I handpicked my zip (as I decided against an invisible zip for this version) and finished my waistband, which almost broke me. Talk about making a mountain out of a simple project like that Ginger Skirt! I’m so glad I took the time to fix it though - I didn’t bother with my Crescent Skirt and I ended up giving it to my mum! So I begrudgingly unpicked the zip and waistband and took the back waistband in by 5/8” (1.5cm) on either side. The trickiest bit was blending the waistband changes into the back seam, but it seems to have worked!

Much better and snugger fit now, no?


Pardon the miserable expression, I wasn't feeling miserable, honest!


I kept my first Ginger skirt nice and simple, as I wanted a versatile and comfy look for work. Fear not though, for I already have a western-style denim version cut out, thanks to another one of Casey’s expert tutorials.

Ginger, I think I love you!

24 comments:

  1. I love the colour you chose for Ginger, it looks adorable and a great wardrobe staple.
    I have sewn the Ginger myself but did not encounter any waistband issues. Maybe because it was a diferent size.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the colour! Where did you get the fabric from? I've not tried making Ginger yet, but I think I might have to give it a go! This really suits you, having sorted out the waistband issues!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a lovely skirt. Thanks for the heads up on the waistband. I've just ordered this pattern! I, too, love the colour you've chosen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! I always hate those last minute hiccups... But so worthwhile to spend the time perfecting your work. Love it x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh it's absolutely gorgeous!! I want this pattern!
    Ashley x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the aubergine! Its a lovely shaped skirt too, and yes, the inside does look pretty too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job on the fit! The colour is lush, I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks all!

    Nikki, the fabric was a cheap, slightly stretchy cotton from a local market stall here in Leicester.

    Karen, you'll love this skirt! Can't wait to see your version ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's gorgeous! I'm going to try it out. I've been wanting to make a fall skirt. I too have a short waist/torso. So, the tips you gave will be helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. looks lovely, I especially like the waist band detail.
    so glad you sorted out the waist gaping it's so frustrating when a problem like that arises but good on you for correcting it :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh, this looks great on you! LOVE the color!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This ginger looks absolutely fantastic! I love the color... I think it's a good substitute for black, since it goes with pretty much anything!

    I wanted to mention about the waistband sizing thing you mention... I'm not sure what happened with yours, but I just walked the pieces to be certain, and they should absolutely match up, for all sizes.

    (If you walk the pattern pieces yourself, the front and front waistband may *appear* to not match, but only because the waistband is cut on the fold. If you account for the seam allowance, they are the same size.)

    The only thing I can think of is perhaps the back waistband piece got flipped upside down? The top of the waistband is smaller than the bottom, so that would make it seem to be too small. I can't really think what else it might have been!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Sarai, I think it's quite plausible that I attached the back waistband upside down, so that probably explains it! It certainly doesn't seem like anyone else had this problem, so as I suspected it was just me ;o) Either way I love this pattern and I've almost finished my second version!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think it looks great! The colour is perfect for you. I can't wait to see your second version.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It looks fantastic - it was certainly worth it to take the extra trouble to make it fit!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your skirt is lovely, especially love the color! I've never used that sort of cotton, I'll have to give it a try sometime.

    I've never sewn the Ginger, but I did have the same waistband issue with the Beignet. Still, Colette Patterns are the best, I've pre-ordered the book and can't wait to receive it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Marie you fantastic stitcher! Good on you for changing the waistband, because it looks fabulous and is worth all of that unpicking.

    Also, aubergine for a colour? Delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fortunately you didn't give up and you changed the waistband because that skirt looks great! I love the colour and of course the fit :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous! The colour is so lovely (it would match my Autumn sewings plans....which I haven't sewn yet - doh!).

    ReplyDelete
  20. I adore the color you've chosen, and thank you for the heads up about the waistband!! This is absolutely lovely, and I'm sure your denim version will be just as fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is sooooooooo gorgeous. LOVE this colour. It looks so lovely on you. And well done for unpicking the zip to resize the waistband - it's so tempting not to bother when things like that happen, especially when you think you're near the end of the project, but well worth the effort as it now fits perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow!! This is really nice Marie! I also love the detailing on the inside. I'm glad you took the time to fix the last minute issue. :-) As I always say, "if you are going to have something that doesn't fit, might as well have bought it!"

    ReplyDelete
  23. I had the same issue with the waistband not maching up when cutting a size 8.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I just came across your blog on the Coletterie, I must say that the skirt looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete