Two sewing firsts in one!

Having had very little time for sewing recently, I'm happy to have finally finished and photographed something, especially since it involved two sewing firsts in one – a refashion and a Sewaholic Pendrell Blouse!

Cinched in with a belt, I think it would look great tucked into something, but I have nothing that fits the bill at the moment...


I started hatching this plan back in September, when Lauren of Tea and Crumpets blogged about a great vintage-style dress from Primark. This dress looked so divine on Lauren, that I immediately rushed out to buy it and was super happy when I picked it up for a mere £2!!! I couldn't believe my luck, but to my devastation it turned out that I really don't have the stature to carry this wonderful dress off.

Not only does it swamp my frame, but it simultaneously dislikes my ample bosom!



Despite all this, I was determined not to waste such glorious fabric, so I decided to refashion it into my first ever Pendrell. I just love the poppy print and I wish you could touch the fabric for yourself, it's so silky and luxurious.

I started by cutting the dress up at the sleeves, bodice and skirt


I then cut out the main blouse pieces from the dress' skirt and the blouse sleeves from the plentiful dress sleeves



I didn’t have enough fabric to make the Pendrell sleeves double like the pattern recommended, so I had to hem them instead, but they still look great I think. My fabric constraints also meant that I couldn’t make matching bias binding, so I had to trim the neckline and armholes with plain black satin bias binding.

Some close ups of the sleeve detail



As expected, this Sewaholic pattern is really simple to follow and cleverly constructed. The princess seams were a little tricky to sew with slippery fabric and I found that the easiest way to finish them was to overlock them due to all the layers. I also shortened the pattern by 4.5 inches in total - I started by shortening the bodice by my usual 2 inches, but then took off another 2.5 inches from the bottom too! I know I'm short, but the pattern seemed super long to me...like more of a tunic than a blouse!

Rare winter sunshine...right in my eyes!


I don’t think it’s the most flattering blouse I own (maybe I could have taken in the princess seams a little more), but overall I’m really happy with the result and who doesn’t need a smart, yet roomy blouse in their wardrobe!?! Plus, I’m so pleased that the divine dress fabric didn’t go to waste!

23 comments:

  1. I love it! I particularly like how (either by accident
    or on purpose) you have positioned the poppy print winding across the chest and down the side. It's a winner! Looking forward to my first Pendrell now :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Marie! Great refashion. Im glad you could save the cool fabric and it is super flattering on you now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is great fabric, good refashion to save it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This fabric is very pretty, a shame you didn't like the end result of your first project but it turned out great on you the second time around!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! Love it with the belt. Gorgeous print. Nice one!
    Px

    ReplyDelete
  6. The fabric is so pretty, and as Kat mentioned, the positioning of the flowers looks lovely. Well done you. I've never sewn with a sewaholic pattern before. Hopefully I should be able to that next year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh, so pretty!! I love the fabric :)
    Ashley x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Clever clever refashioning! It is gorgeous fabric and the pendrell is perfect for the floatiness and the large print. I need to make that version with the sleeves - looks really snappy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really lovely and it does suit you better than the dress.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it so much... Love the fabric and the way fits on you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your pendrell. I think this is my favourite version. of it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aaaw, thank you all! I'd love to say that I planned the flower placement with precision, but my main concern was squeezing what I could out of the dress fabric...lucky for me it ended up working quite well!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your version of the Pendrell! That fabric is divine :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. So pretty! I love the floral pattern too. Fabulous job ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fab refashion, and a fab pendrell!!

    I know what you mean about falling in love with something you see on someone esle...only to be so disappointed when you put it on yourself! I've been there many a time! I guess that's one of the perks of being able to sew :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great refashion! That floral print is phenomenal!

    ReplyDelete
  17. you are right, it was a nice dress, but the blouse looks so much better on you. And that print is so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The dress was nice, but the pendrell is fab. I love the print. I really must make a pendrell!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awesome refashion. That fabric definitely needed to be used. It makes a great Pendrell blouse.

    ReplyDelete
  20. WOW! Fantastic refashion! That fabric is really incredible. I think I prefer your top to the original dress!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ahh. I tried on the dress in a 14 and it was TINY. I'm normally a 12/14 on top so that was really weird. I imagine Primark have racks full of 8s and 10s that are too small for anyone to wear. Such a shame because it's a lovely fabric and quite a nice design. Hurrah for re-working it into something wearable :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have this dress, unworn at the back of my wardrobe, it's never been worn because it looks dreadful on me. I was going to list it on Ebay, but that's all changed thanks to this blog. I love the material and will be looking out for a fab pattern.
    Thank you :O)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh yay!!! I'm so glad you feel this way now! The fabric is lovely and luckily, the dress style means that there's quite a lot of it too! Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete