A Pendrell with a 30s twist

After a slow start to the stitching year, I’m relieved to be sharing my first completed sewing project of 2012!

I’ve said it a million times before, but I was smitten the very moment I saw Casey’s genius tutorial (part 1 & part 2) for adding a 1930s-style scalloped collar to the Sewaholic Pendrell blouse. This was last year and despite incorporating the idea into a dress, it’s taken me all this time to apply the tutorial in the way it was meant to be applied.

Sadly, my drafting skills leave something to be desired and I tend not to learn from all of my past mistakes! Had I remembered that during the making of said dress my collar came up a bit short, I would have saved myself some irritation this time round. Casey’s tutorial is as thorough as ever, so the mistake (which I haven’t figured out yet) is all mine! 


When I realised my Pendrell collar came up too short, I decided to cut my blouse at the shoulder seams I’d already carefully sewn *sob* and took an inch off either side. This did the trick and so I now have a collar that meets at the centre front neckline! Subsequently I had to lower the armholes to avoid extreme armpit tightness and I did lose some length of the bottom. Luckily it’s still long enough to wear tucked in and to be honest, I’ll most likely be wearing this beauty with jeans.



Even though I may not actually wear this top for another season or two, I really love the summery feel of it and the collar is totally up my street!

Next time though, I would do one or two things differently:

•    Use a slightly heavier-weight fabric. I used a beautiful cotton/silk mix fabric (from Ditto fabrics here), which probably would have been perfect for a Sorbetto, but is perhaps a tad ‘flimsy’ for this Pendrell. Every time I pull it over my head I’m afraid I’ll rip it and I’m convinced it will get destroyed in the wash!

•    Add a self-covered button to finish off the collar. I would have loved to try this, but because of the lightweight nature of my chosen fabric, I think the neckline would have sagged under the weight. Already the neckline is a bit saggy, but that’s something I can live with in its current state.

•    Chose a less busy fabric print. I think a less busy print would help to show off the scalloped collar a bit more.

Saying all this, I'm delighted with my little blouse and I can’t wait to get to take it for a spin in the sunshine…though I won’t hold my breath for that! These are mere lessons for the future – something that I can improve on and that might be helpful to others. 



If you too have tried Casey’s tutorial, please feel free to share a link below. I’d love to see your versions! I’ve spent countless hours being inspired by other people’s versions on Flickr…not that I’m an obsessive, compulsive stalker or anything!

P.S. Even though these photos were taken at about 2pm, it was far too gloomy outside to rely on natural lighting. Pretty depressing, no!?! But at least I got to try my professional lights and backdrop for the first time!

50 comments:

  1. The top is lovely Marie. I love your twist. I've been eyeing that fabric on the Ditto fabrics website, trying to decide if I should buy it or not. Now I know how it is, so thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dibs! The fabric is lovely, but very, very delicate!

      Delete
  2. Its so pretty with your make-up! You look fab!!! Nice to follow you and see how you get on. I am on clothing item #3. So I am very new but its really nice to find you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by Bundana, I'm off to check your blog out now!

      Delete
  3. Lovely blouse! :) I tried out the tutorial for my Pendrell dress and my collar came up really short too :S
    Ashley x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, maybe it wasn't just me being thick then...!

      Delete
    2. Hmmm... I'm kind of curious about the collar issue, since I've heard from others that haven't had a problem. Will have to go check back over the tutorial and see if it's a mistake I made (quite a possibility! ;) and correct it. Thank you both for your feedback about this problem--I really appreciate it! :)

      Delete
  4. Marie this is so pretty & it looks tricky to do technically - all those scallops, & self drafting. I'm so impressed. I like the fabric too.... roll on the warmer weather :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaw, thanks! It is quite tricky, but with Casey's expert instructions it's very achievable!

      Delete
  5. You look beautiful and so does the top. it always amazes me how much crisper photos look with light.

    Now I have to add this blouse and tutorial to my must-make list...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Despite your fabric woes it is beautiful fabric and the top still looks lovely on you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Marie that is such a beautiful top. I think a button would look very cute too. I'm so impressed by your self-drafting - I think I'm going to have to bite that bullet soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel! I really wish my fabric could have carried the weight of a button...maybe they'll have to be a second version ;o)

      Delete
  8. I love that tutorial too, but have yet to use it. Your top looks lovely and is perfect for spring and summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now we just need spring/summer to hurry up! I look forward to seeing your version one day!

      Delete
  9. Absolutely gorgeous! I literally gasped when I saw it! Oh, and your blush/lipstick look cute as can be!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your blouse and it's just perfect with that fabric!!! I haven't tried the tutorial yet but have been wondering how it was!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you're inspired to give it a go now Debi!

      Delete
  11. I've got Casey's tutorial bookmarked too! Your version is lovely Marie - it will be perfect for Spring/Summer. Although that seems a long way away at the moment - it's FREEZING! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jane! And yes, spring/summer seems like a lifetime away!

      Delete
  12. Beautiful top and you look so pretty - both equally delicate! Loving the backdrop - where'd you get that from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Karen! Ironically, I dislike the dreary look of the grey background and keep meaning to cover it with something more 'peachy' or lacy! But, together with the lights I bought, it does a great job and you can get it for a very reasonable price on amazon: http://amzn.to/wotcLB. Let me know if you need any more info ;o)

      Delete
  13. Marie, this is just so beautiful! I want slow starts too if it turns out as wonderful as this! I see what you mean about wanting a less busy print, but this fabric is so worth it. Beautiful! xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your blouse -- I would definitely have been tempted by that fabric too. Maybe it would have worked with underlining? Your photography looks very pro too -- good job on both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Underlining would have probably been an awesome idea, but my brain's not that advanced when I'm in the moment! I would definitely recommend it for anyone else wanting to use fabric similar to this though! Thanks for the lovely comments too!

      Delete
  15. Really gorgeous Marie, I love the print - it chimes perfectly with the 30s feel of it/ It's so incredibly elegant and your lights and backdrop set it off superbly. Getting photo-envy now!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Marie, your top turned out gorgeous! And do you know what - only the 'maker' would be aware of those 'issues' because to everyone else it looks perfect!
    Really love your make-up too. I wish I could do that with my liner...mine is always wobbly and unsymmetrical!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suzie! The eyeliner took years to get used to doing and it's so not ever perfect, but I just don't care nowadays if one side's slightly different to the other ;o) I love the link from Joanne though, might have to try it myself!

      Delete
  17. I love how your collar turned out--so pretty! :) Thanks so much for the feedback about the shortness issue--I wonder if it's a mistake on my part in the directions? I'll have to go back and check to see. ;) Despite that, I'll chime in with everyone else and say it looks lovely! I adore the fabric you used!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Casey, I really don't think there's an issue with your tutorial. As I said above, I'm pretty sure my drafting skills are just very basic. I've followed lots of other tutorials by you and they've all been perfect! So put this down to my inexperience alone ;o)

      Delete
  18. It's beautiful! You look gorgeous in it and I can't see any of the issues you've mentioned from the photo, in fact I'm incredibly envious because it is so very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tors, you should give Casey's tutorial a go ;o)

      Delete
  19. Oh Marie, such an adorable version of this blouse. Definitely one of my favourites.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, Marie, this turned out really pretty! The fabric itself is beautiful as well. I am bit angry with myself now, because I haven't gotten to complete any sewing project in 2012. Many things running simultaneously, and none finished, as usual...
    Well done, once again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaw, thanks! I know what you mean about working on too many things at the same time...I have the same problem!

      Delete
  21. Beauuuuuuuuutiful! Love the scallops, the collar, the fabric... simply gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your blouse is lovely! Sam xox

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love your scalloped-collar blouse. It's really lovely.

    I actually really like the fabric you choose for it; I think it's the perfect pattern for such a feminite top. I could see swapping the pattern to be on the inner-collar and the white to be on the scallops if you wanted more contrast...

    This needs to be added to my spring wardrobe mix and yours is such wonderful inspiration. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your blouse is darling - it came out so well!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I think the photo looks so professional Marie. What a difference the lights and backdrop make and they show off your pretty blouse really nicely !

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi marie. I'm featuring this cute blouse this week at Sew & Tell, OK?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, I'm very flattered...thank you so much!

      Delete
  27. I'm glad I saw your version of the pendrell. Makes me want to make another version, too. The fabric does rock.

    ReplyDelete