Renfrew – the basics

Lately I've been cutting and sewing up a Renfrew storm, all in preparation for Tilly's One Week, One Pattern (OWOP) project. I know that making things especially for OWOP is not strictly the ethos of the project, but the Sewaholic pattern is one I would have made up multiple times regardless of OWOP, so hopefully that's a good enough reason.

Anyway, in addition to my original tiger-print version, I know have a couple of plain basic versions. There's really nothing new to add about the construction process, only that the scoop-neck version was even easier to make up than the cowl-neck one! 

To spare you any repetitiveness I thought I'd save pictures of me wearing them for OWOP, so for now it's just mannequin shots I'm afraid!

I love this purple colour and how this basic top can be spruced up with a great accessory!


The cowl detail looks much better with a thinner jersey - my tiger-print fabric was notably stiffer!


Coming up next, another scoop-neck in the floral jersey and a V-neck in the stripey jersey

I'm very much one for the layered look in my daily wardrobe, so I think these newest Renfrew additions will fit right in.

Are you taking part in OWOP? If so, what's your chosen pattern?

26 comments:

  1. wow, wonderful! The seams look smooth, great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gina! I's surprised by how much I've enjoyed working with jersey!

      Delete
  2. I love your fabrics, I bet they're really soft too! Good luck with your OWOP!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bri - are you taking part in OWOP?

      Delete
  3. Ooh, looking great! I love the purple with the large necklace - totally dramatic. I like the soft folds on the grey version and your other two fabrics look lovely, too. This is going to be success all the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Karen! I'm very much looking forward to your week of gorgeous Sorbettos!!!

      Delete
  4. These are beautiful, especially that purple one. You are going to be styling next week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your renfrews, especially the purple one. I bought the pattern, hopping to make loads of tshirts for summer. As soon as I'm back to normal, I'll start. What type of knit would you recommend most for the renfrew?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Dibs, how the devil are you? Defo give the Renfrew a go when you can, I think you'll love it! From my experience I would say go with Tasia's suggestion of using jersey that's around 3% elastene. Seems to be the perfect weight for this little number. My tiger-print was heavier and as a result it doesn't drape quite as well as the other two.

      Delete
  6. They look amazing, the lilac one especially is incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Marie! I can't believe you actually made these. (I'm terrified of knits.) I love them both. They look so comfortable and professionally-made. Can't wait to see you next week in these! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adrienne, you made a Minoru our of oilcloth...knits will seem so easy to you now! There's nothing to be afraid of, in fact it is a very forgiving fabric to sew with ;o)

      Thanks for your lovely comments!

      Delete
  8. They look great, I love your fabric choices!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thansk Alessa, I was quite happy with my floral and stripey finds!

      Delete
  9. Your Renfrews (and Renfrews-to-be) look great! I hope to make some more when I have a spare hour or two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrea, you are the official queen of Renfrews...yours are lovely!!

      Delete
  10. I wish I wasn't terrified to work with jersey. I'm sure it's not as awful and difficult as I've built it up to be in my mind. These tops are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really isn't Michelle, just get stuck in and you'll see for yourself ;o)

      Delete
  11. OO, lovely Renfrews Marie. I shall really enjoy seeing you mix & match. And thanks to you I have now decided that I need to make me another cowl neck version, since I too have only make it in stiffer fabric & have some beautiful drapey jersey waiting to be cut....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, thanks very much and I'm thrilled to have been a source of inspiration ;o)

      Delete
  12. Really lovely tops Marie, you will have loads to work with next week! I really love that statement necklace too by the way!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love these-- you have great taste! I have a grey one with a cowl (wearing it right now, actually), and I basically live in it-- it's such a great piece! The stripes and flowers will be gorgeous, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ginger, you're very kind indeed!

      Delete