Mad Men style files #2 – Jane & Megan

I thought I'd launch the second part of our delectable style journey with a scandalous confession....dum dum dum! I have been known to mistake Mad Men character Jane Siegel / Sterling for Megan Calvet and visa versa! It's shocking, I know. I can't explain it – I know they don't look identical, but from afar I can't always distinguish one from the other. Am I the only one, or can anyone else see the resemblance too?

Anyway, in light of this, I thought it would be amusing to share my favourite outfits of both characters in the same post. I dare you not to get them mixed up ;o)

All photos in this post were taken from Tom + Lorenzo blog.

First up Jane Siegel / Sterling - not a particularly likeable character, but she has great taste!

Of course I must pay special tribute to this little blue number, 
as it's what I'm attempting to recreate for Julia's Mad Men Dress Challenge.



I really love Jane's chic office wear - it looks so effortless!


She also scrubs up well in her stunning evening dresses - just look at that scolloped lace and beaded detail!


Isn't this jacket to die for!?! I love it so much that I recently bought a very similar coat in black with leopard trim...yummy!

Next up Megan Calvet - a much sweeter character who we'll undoubtedly get to see more of in the upcoming final series!

Megan’s definitely portrayed as a modern woman (more so say than the likes of Betty Draper) and this is very much reflected in her distinctly later 1960s outfits. Just look at the simple lines and block colours of her work-wear...very elegant!





The wholesomeness of her character and how great she is with Don's children is cleverly depicted through this soft and sweet dress.

But Megan's modern outlook prevails in this rather stunning little black dress!

Which character do you prefer - Jane or Megan? And more importantly, who do you think dresses better...do you have a favourite outfit from above?

I think I'd rather be Megan's friend, but overall, Jane wins the style stakes for me!

*****

24 comments:

  1. Well, Jane all the way. But, as a character she's rather pathetic, don't you think? But, how I love the way she looks in that creamy pencil skirt and peachy coral top! Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, she gets zero points for personality, but ten for style ;o)

      Delete
  2. I'm a little bit in love with Megan. Sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to confess, I haven't watched many episodes and in those I have watched I think I've seen Megan but not Jane. Must rectify that! Top three outits from above - red suit, yellow dress and Megan's black cutout dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, yes you must! Watch them all ;o)

      Delete
  4. I make the mix up mistake all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Jane's clothes, especially that red suit with leopard print and she wears this outfit in the third season, when she drops by the office and asks Joan for a "tiny favor" to send a girl to flag her car down and she tells Joan that she "keeps losing weight" that whole scene was a study in passive aggression, lol. I think I like Jane a little better only because she seems more developed, Megan seems a little flat or something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your knowledge is impeccable!!! I agree with you, but perhaps we'll see a development in Megan's character in this latest series...if her and Don do end up getting married.

      Delete
  6. Such gorgeous inspiration here. And I cannot wait to see your take on Jane's blue dress...it's going to be GORGEOUS!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suzie...I hope it doesn't disappoint!

      Delete
  7. I think Jane is the prettier/more stylish of the two, but oooh she's such a snotty bitch! Megan all the way - I'd totally be her friend (the kind who borrows clothes all the time ahahaha) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's exactly the kind of friend I want to be too!

      Delete
  8. I like Jane's clothes, too! That blue dress is way too cute. I have to admit-- I'm just not a fan of Megan (maybe cause I liked Faye?)! I think she's totally the worst... dumb old Don...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean Ginger. I'm a really loyal person, so I was so annoyed when Don messed things up with the lovely Faye...she's by far my favourite of his flings!

      Delete
  9. I love Jane's blue dress - love all her clothes. But I love Megan's too. Choices, choices...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jane's clothes appeal to me way more than Megan's - absolutely gorgeous - but I agree with Lauren that her character leaves a lot to be desired! I've loved that blue dress you're making since I first saw it on your blog - if I'd seen it before buying my fabric I'd have made that my choice too! x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm definitely working on my Mad Men challenge dress. Hope I can finish it in time!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have to say that I much prefer Megans style! Pretty intrigued to see what she's gonna be wearing this season now she's 'Mrs Draper'. Also a quick note to let you know that I've nominated you for a blog award! No need to participate but you can check out my blog if you're interested! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, thanks very much for the blog award...you're too kind!

      Delete
  13. I am much more a fan of Megan than Jane... I just find Megan more relatable, and she's like a tiny corner of strength and yes, wholesomeness in the whole psychological mess of the show...

    I actually recently made the pink megan dress, with plans to refine it and make it into a pattern... http://3hourspast.com/2012/03/22/finished-object-megans-vendetta/ And I think I'm going to have to make the black one, too.. It speaks to me every time I glimpse it. So so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jane....not much to say about her. College Girl without the brains, Diet Joan (has the look but not the substance), and Rebound Girl.
    I wonder what you say about Megan now

    ReplyDelete
  15. I made dresses like Megan's yellow dress in the late '60's. I love the shade of the green dress. I preferred Fay,too.i liked Jane's clothes. Never sewed anything like Jane's.

    ReplyDelete