You lose some, you win some!

My desire to be just like Handmade Jane, footloose and muslin-free, has got me in a pickle. When Jane skips the muslin stage she still manages to achieve perfection (Exhibit A and Exhibit B to name but a few), but no such luck for Marie :o( I must learn from this mistake, because precious time and (not-so-precious) fabric has been wasted!

The pretty, yet cruel pattern in question is McCall 7672. I'm over the moon with how the ruffle turned out, but my severe fit issues means there's no saving this baby. I need to shorten the bodice by a good couple of inches, excess fabric from the upper back needs removing and I need to bring the shoulders in by an inch on either side too. Hmphhh! What a shame!


After a good sulk I dusted myself off, deviated from the plan and did the mature thing! I picked an easy pattern for a quick and dirty fix and it sure did the trick! Mwahahaha!

I love how free-flowing this top is, but tune in to my Me-Made-May post tomorrow to see how good it also looks cinched in!

The Scout Woven Tee from grainline studio is a cute casual top with an asymmetric hem that's longer at the back. I made mine with lightweight jersey and made no adjustments. I cut a 4 around the neckline and shoulders, a 6 for the armholes up until the waist and then graded the bottom out to an 8. It could still do with being a bit smaller around the shoulder/neckline area, but I'm really pleased with such a pretty and comfy addition to my wardrobe. There's no doubt in my mind that I'll be making more, more, more!


I love the gathered sleeves! Admittedly, I pleated as I was too lazy to gather, but it worked out!

Ironically, I was originally drawn to grainline studios by the Tiny Pocket Tank so expect that to make an appearance on here soon.

Anyway, I hope you're all having a great weekend and that fellow UK residents have enjoyed our much-deserved sunshine today!

22 comments:

  1. oh what a shame about the failed McCalls - the ruffle looks fab, and that fabric is lovely too. But the Scout tee is really lovely - love it in the jersey - I might have to try this too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and do, I really think it will suit you!

      Delete
  2. Oh, I'm so sorry about the shirt! I'm trying to force myself to make a muslin every time. Every single time I don't I end up kicking myself! But I love the Scout tee! It's so sweet! I've been thinking of making it myself, and now I think I have to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's such a lovely little pattern, one that you can make over and over!

      Delete
  3. Argh, fitting issues just kill me you know? So you have my sympathy. I'm glad you were able to salvage your sewing mojo with this cute tee! What a cool floral print!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I needed the tee to cheer me up and give me energy to come back to the ruffle top sometime soon ;o)

      Delete
  4. Oh dear, such a shame about the top - I've had the same thing happen to me in the past so now I make a muslin every time, even when I seriously want to get sewing on the real thing!

    But that jersey top is absolutely lovely - really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shame about the McCalls...I always make a muslin as I am too scared not to! I love the t-shirt, it looks so comfy and is very flattering :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, but for once I wanted to be cool like Jane ;o) Oh well, I'll nail the McCall's another time I hope...

      Delete
  6. I love all the things you've made. I have also had my eye on that Budra style top you made in the first pic. I'm not sure it'd work for my figure though. It's very nice on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel, but I think the Burda blouse only suits me tucked in ;o) It's an easy/fast make though, so you should give it a go?

      Delete
  7. I'm sorry about the McCalls top. This reminds me that I need to start making a muslin first more often. Anyway, I adore The Scout tee! It is so cute, and it looks really comfortable, breathable and feminine. The fabric and the fit are perfection. I love gathered sleeves too! Yours look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Marie, you're a sweetheart! Every time I skip a muslin though I always think, is this the time when I won't be able to get away with it?! It must be a combination of massive laziness and jammy good luck! The top with the frill is lovely, are you sure it can't be saved? I've been known to sew massive seams down the back of tops to get rid of excess bagginess! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I hope your good luck continues Jane! Hehe!

      Delete
  9. Yikes, I am also a generally no muslin girl, but that does get me into trouble sometimes also...so shame about frilly top, it looks like great fabric choice too. Now the tshirt is adorable, very you and looks ideal drape and pattern. I love quick makes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in awe of you no-muslin ladies...sigh!

      Delete
  10. Hi Marie. I don't ever make muslins either but I make a bigger seam allowance sometimes and drape the fabric to my form and pin it to fit it. My form is padded to my measurements. With four kids and my ADD I dont have time to fiddle around with muslins. Another tip is just to make Big 4 patterns one size smaller. So much ease!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do love a good "quick and dirty" fix to get me out of a sewing funk too.Brilliant turn of phrase, lol! Made me chuckle ;) Nice tee too!
    Px

    ReplyDelete
  12. Knit tops are my favorite quick fix! The fabric looks lovely! It's so difficult to get nice flower print fabrics over here...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this , your version looks nicer that the one on Grainline studios site .

    ReplyDelete