Mad Men style files #5 – Peggy Olson

People, it's exactly one week until Julia Bobbin takes all the Mad Men challenge dresses and shares them in one maddeningly exciting post! I'm relieved to say that I've finally finished mine, so before I introduce today's Mad Men style icon, here's a sneaky peek for you:


Anyway, today we're looking at Peggy Olson - an interesting character who seems more into her career than her appearance. In fact when she first arrived on the scene, she was like a fashion-backwards country bumpkin, but her sense of style definitely improved with time. As does her hair thankfully!!! Although Peggy never reaches office vixen status (aka Joan), her style has it's own unique charm and generally seems very wearable - explaining perhaps why she has quite the following among stitching bloggers...myself included! 

As always images are courtesy of Tom + Lorenzo.

These sweet dresses have a late 1950s vibe to them (very similar Betty's get-ups) - Peggy gradually progressed into more of a 1960s gal, but she still donned this kind of attire for church and for visits with the priest.

Peggy is all about the neckline detail - be it bows, collars and other embellishments. I think this is why I love her wardrobe so much, I'm a sucker for neckline detail!


Her love of neckline detail transcends just blouses and tops - it's something she seems to go for in dresses too.




Oh, and she's quite fond of the occasional waistline detail too!

This dress really calls out to me, the colours, the sweetheart neckline! Hmmm, I think I may have a similar pattern in my stash...

And this dress is just pure class! Have you seen Julia Bobbin's stunning knockoff? You really should go take a look, it's seriously impressive!

How gorgeous is this deep red rose print dress? It's also super cool for incorporating a collar and a bow! What on earth is Peggy's hair doing though!?!

I've left the best for last in my opinion. It would be great to see Peggy dolled up like this a bit more - she can certainly pull off this sultry look!

What do you think of Peggy Olson's style? Are you a fan? More importantly, are you delirious with joy that Mad Men Season 5 will be gracing our UK screens this Tuesday!!??!! Lucky Americans get their special 2hr fix tonight!

*****
Fancy ogling my previous Mad Men style posts? Look no further...




11 comments:

  1. I absolutely love Peggy's style! I definitely relate to it and think I'd dress like her if I lived in the '60s. I especially love all of those neckline details she sports. She was my runner-up inspiration wise for Julia Bobbin's Mad Men challenge.

    Speaking of... I cant WAIT to see how your dress turned out! From the sneak peek you've shared, I know it must be adorable. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with everything you said about Peggy's style...it's just so wearable! And thank you, I'll be posting about my dress tomorrow...whoop!

      Delete
  2. I've so loved seeing your Mad Men style files & it's really helped differentiate each wonderful lady's personal style. (I know, that's why you've done it!) But I find that my jaw is dropped for the whole of each episode as I take in the whole & miss individual details. So a big thank you. Fab. Looking forward to seeing your reveal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaw, thanks so much! It's exactly what I hoped to achieve, so I'm glad to hear it. Feel free to pop back any time you need inspiration!

      Delete
  3. Great post Marie! I think Peggy's the dark (clothes) horse of the Mad Men crew. She's got some classic looks going on and definitely gets better throughout the seasons as she gains confidence. Ooh am intrigued at that beautiful bow! Exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she really is isn't she!? I'm not impressed with her office attire in Season 5 so far though :o(

      Delete
  4. I love the color of your sneak peak! I can't wait to see the finished dress!

    By the way, I nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award! Participation is optional. Details on my blog :-) The Musings of a Dedicated Housefiancee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Jennifer, how kind of you!

      Delete
  5. I love these posts, they really help in getting a sense of each characters person style for non-Mad Men watchers like me. I have nominated you for the Versatile Blogger award over at my blog :)http://sorbetsurprise.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/my-first-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thank you for the kind words and the award!

      Delete
  6. Love this. I think she was supposed to symbolize all those young women coming out of the 50s and heading into the 70s. So pretty.
    What do you think of her late 60s/early 70s style? I think it progressed well, her style evolution is interesting in how her life changed.

    ReplyDelete