Renfrew – the fun ones

One Week, One Pattern officially kicks off today, but because I'm saving all my outfit posts for the end of the week, I thought I'd tantalise you with my latest Renfrews for the project. Including my tiger-print and basic versions, I now have five Renfrews to play with. I'm really looking forward to mixing and matching them to achieve different looks and I'm hoping that the project will teach me a few things about myself too.

I really didn't think I'd be a fan of the V-necked Renfrew on me, but actually it's pretty flattering. I think using a light and drapey jersey had something to do with this as well.

For once I can say that this hangs better on me than the dummy!

I'm over the moon that I accidentally managed to get the stripes to match up in most places.

This next version is probably my favourite Renfrew as I'm a sucker for a pretty floral print...I just can't resist it! Being a serial under-buyer of fabric is not always a bad thing, but I found out that you really can't squeeze a Renfrew out of one metre, not even a short-sleeved one. Hence, I had to piece the back of this one, which I can totally live with as it doesn't look bad at all. I also had to add a different band to the bottom and after toying with the idea of plain grey, I'm so glad I went for the stripey option. It's a really cool detail, making this Renfrew really unique.


Do you like the stripey band at the bottom?

I really don't think the pieced back is offensive...do you?

So, who else is playing along with OWOP? Did Tilly's Fascinating Statistical Analysis excite you as much as it did me?

30 comments:

  1. Love the floral! I really need to jump on the Renfrew bandwagon... And no, I don't find the pieced back offensive at all - in fact, I'm absolutely all for piecing to get the most out of the metres. Waste not, want not!

    Can't wait to see your week in outfits and get busy planning mine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ta very much! You should defo get on board with Renfrew, I think you'll love it!

      Delete
    2. Thank you, and do! I think you'll love the Renfrew ;p

      Delete
  2. I love the floral one most of all, *especially* with the strip-y bottom band. I'm planing some mix-and-match Renfrews of my own, actually!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrea, can't wait to see more of yours!

      Delete
  3. These are cute! The piecing on the floral one looks fine and I really like the striped band on the bottom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are cute as a button! Love them. You are really good at the knits, I haven't really tried them yet. Awesome job!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gina! Knits really aren't as scary as you think! I only ever tried them because of the Renfrew pattern, but I look forward to using them more often now!

      Delete
  5. ooo I like the floral one especially with the striped band at the bottom. unfortunately I'm being a spoil sport and not joining in, but I loved Tillys stats especially the pattern company pie chart.
    Good luck with your week looking forward to seeing your outfits.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The pieced back isn't offensive at all and I've loved the print since you gave us a sneak peek a short while ago! And a little off topic but I LOVE your three strand pearl necklace that your dress form is accessorising your floral Renfrew!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! The necklace was very cheap from Primark ;o)

      Delete
  7. These are so cute and I love each detail you add on them to make them individual...

    ReplyDelete
  8. That stripey band is such a great touch! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad I went for it in the end, I really do think it makes that Renfrew a bit special!

      Delete
  9. Oh, these are so cute! That floral one is too sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the floral one - it is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  11. both versions are fab!!! i'm looking fwd to making more renfrews.
    the pieced back looks fine. and great jpb on matching the stripes. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much! The matching stripes were a happy accident ;o)

      Delete
  12. Love them both, espeially the stripe detail on the floral one. After a second visit to my new workplace I have decided that I could do much worse than a work wardrobe consisting largely of Renfrews and Pendrells...best get sewing (after i've completed my Minoru...!!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Marie, these are so pretty. I love the rosey one especially. Have you found it easy to make without an overlocker? Sorry if you've said before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mela! They really are super easy on a regular sewing machine. All you need is a needle suitable for stretchy material (I used a 'stretch' needle, but I've heard other people use needles suitable for knits too). Then instead of a straight stitch, I used a zig-zag for every seam, which allows the fabric to stretch a little when worn etc. Because of the zig-zag stitching and because jersey doesn't really fray, I haven't even bothered to finish my seams after trimming them! It's really lazy of me, but why create extra, unneccesary work for yourself ;o) Happy to answer any other questions that you may have!

      Delete
  14. Adorable Renfrews, Marie. I really do love both of them. I have some drapey floral jersey, just looking at me to be made up, I hope it turns out as good as your has, & the band is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm sure yours will turn out just beautifully!

      Delete
  15. Absolutely love the floral mixed with stripes.

    ReplyDelete