Mad Men style files #6 - Joan Harris (nee Holloway)

**Outrageous declaration warning**
Until I put this post together, I don't think I fully appreciated Joan's style. Yes, I knew she was hot and that her clothes were nice, but I think I was too hung up on the fact that they weren't necessarily styles I would wear.

Can you believe this? I'm finding it hard to understand myself! I mean her style is incredible - the stunning cut and fit of her clothes, the array of gorgeous colours, the incredible little details and not to mention her perfect pout and feline eyes. Oh and I love, love, love how she dispels all those ridiculous myths that redheads can't wear certain colours...Joanie looks great in pretty much all colours!

Right, so now I've discovered and declared my new obsession with Joan Harris (nee Holloway), I think it's only fair that I share some of my most favourite outfits of this saucy, sexy, sultry office temptress - images courtesy of Tom + Lorenzo

Joanie sure does rock hues of blues and purples

Just look at the neckline detailing in both these photos - so sweet!

It's not often you see Joan vulnerable, but she's even more lovable for it

Who said redheads can't wear pink and red? An idiot, that's who! She looks sweet as a pie in this pink number!

And isn't the low back of this dress and the bow detail too cute for words?!?

Despite the tears, Joanie's makeup is still flawless! I also love the asymmetric neckline and brooch.  

Another sweet neckline and brooch on the olive green dress!

Aqua is also a flattering colour on Joan and I particularly like the ruffled detail on the dress on the right - delicious!

It's not often you see Joanie wearing prints - she loves a good monochrome - but I'm pretty sure that there's nothing this gal can't pull off. Both outfits below totally float my boat!

Oh and did I mention that she also has a nice blouse or two?

Of course this post would not be complete without a few of Joan's signature dresses. The blue one has inspired lovely creations by the likes of Julia Bobbin and Joanne. And the black and rose print has been masterfully recreated by Gertie. You really must check these ladies' dresses out, you won't regret it!

And finally, my personal favourite! I love the colour, the sleeves and how silky the fabric looks. Just scrumptious!

Phew! I don't know about you, but I'm all fired up for Mad Men Season 5 now...just a few hours before we UK folk can get our fix!

Also, have you seen all the Mad Med Dress Challenge posts popping up all over the place? It's exhilarating! Have you taken part and will you be posting about it soon? I'll be sharing mine something this week for sure.

*****
Fancy ogling my previous Mad Men style posts? Look no further...





15 comments:

  1. I think when it comes to the fashion Joan is my favorite, we don't have similar body types but I love her red hair and as you said, she rocks every color dispelling those silly myths!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marie I've so enjoyed all your mad men files, the styles are so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so pleased, I'm glad I made the effort now!

      Delete
  3. Aww Joanie! I ADORE the black dress with the red pattern, stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh thank you so much for the mention! Your favourite is my favourite too! I just adore that silky sheath dress of hers - so simple and elegant! Sheesh - if we could all be Joanie for a day... Mad Men airs tonight on Sky - can't wait!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely daydream...being Joanie for a day...aaahhh!

      Did you watch Mad Men Season 5? I don't think I'll be impressed with the styles so much any more, but I still love it to bits!

      Delete
  5. Great series! I really enjoyed it. I didn't realize how much of a Trudy wardrobe fan I am. Although, Joanie comes in a close second. Oh, to have her figure!!!

    Looking forward to seeing what you've been working on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They all have such amazing wardrobes, it really is hard to choose just one favourite isn't it?! I think I'd like to maybe make something from each character...as an homage to the series so far!

      Delete
  6. I have really enjoyed this series of posts because the mad men fashions are typical of the time and are iconic. To translate these details into our current fashion sense seems to be everyone's goal these days. It is good.

    The red heads can't wear this color or that color is absolute nonsense. I am a quilter and learning color and how to interpret tone are essential. It is also an on-going process. You will note that the Joan character wears all colors but also note that they are "grayed down." This takes the color down one or two tones on the color wheel. When you have the opportunity, study the color wheel and you will see what that means. Any color, any time, just adjust the tone.

    She looked stunning in the season premier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Corrine, thanks so much for the insightful comment! What you've said about the 'grayed down' colours is so interesting and I will certainly be studying that colour wheel a bit more closely now!

      Delete
  7. Gosh, she's gorgeous! I love these posts-- you keep reminding me of outfits that I loved but forgot about!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ginger, so pleased you like them!

      Delete
  8. Your blog post is fantastic, thanks for sharing it with me. I've just had a read and left a comment ;o)

    ReplyDelete